Music Performance and Production - Level 3 Triple Diploma
Course Code: VM1FE229
The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Music Performance and Production has been designed for aspiring musicians who have an interest in performance and production who wish to explore their passion via a full-time, immersive learning experience.
You'll get the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to access and progress to degree level study or employment in the music industry.
Students can look forward to taught sessions, workshops, independent study, online learning and work experience, developing a wide range of skills in music performance and production while exploring the music business, music theory, songwriting and recording.
This course supports the development of your individual creative portfolio and provides the opportunity to develop your music for commercial release.
4 GCSEs grade 4 or above in English and Maths
- a successful interview with a tutor
- the ability to study independently
- a genuine interest in the subject
- good communication skills
- hardworking approach towards the industry
Teaching and Learning Methods
This full-time course is delivered in workshops that encourage practical application of skills developed.
Students will work in group production tasks and also independently.
All the tutors on the course are working or have worked in the industry and can share a wealth of experience and have higher levels of education in media specific areas.
Whilst on the course you will be able to work with staff for external clients in response to live briefs, giving you a greater understanding of the music industry.
A typical timetable will consist of session and workshops over a four-day week with the fifth being used for independent research or production.
You will have access to specialist equipment for independent study time and rehearsal time.
In addition to traditional learning environments you’ll spend time in industry-standard work spaces including:
- The Recording Studio – Pro Tools 12 HD and 24 Channel Analogue Mixing Desk.
- The Mixing Suite – acoustic treated for professional level mixing in both Pro Tools and Logic Pro X software.
- Music Performance Room – versatile space for acoustic and band performances which also functions as a live sound venue including a PreSonus live Digital mixing desk.
- Music Production Suite – fully equipped with iMacs running Logic Pro X software. Space accommodates: Music Sequencing, Sound for Moving Image, Music Theory and Music Production work.
- Rehearsal Rooms – fully equipped with mixing desks, guitar and bass amp emulation, electronic drum kits and microphones for extended rehearsals and performance preparations. Each room also has an iMac with a sound card for additional songwriting and recording activities.
- University Centre Theatre – provides an excellent performance space for live gigs.
Expect up to 12 hours a week in a studio or classroom setting.
You will also have access to specialist equipment for independent study time and this could be up to an additional six hours a week.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of further education courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Read our tuition fees guide.