Music Performance and Production - Level 2
Course Code: VM1FE98
In line with Government advice and guidance we plan to have 100% face to face delivery for all Further Education courses for 16 - 18 year olds from September 2021.
Music moves, inspires and heals. If you're fascinated by the transformative effect of music and the industry that makes it happen, this is the course for you.
The full-time Level 2 Diploma in Music Performance and Production course has been developed to provide students with an understanding of music performance and production as a collaborative activity and prepare them for a career in related industries.
The course is designed for aspiring musicians who want to develop a career in the music industry.
Students will explore their passion through a full-time, immersive learning experience, developing a wide range of skills in music performance and production alongside exploring the music business, music theory, song writing & recording.
The course supports the development of your individual creative portfolio and provides the opportunity to develop your music for commercial release.
4 GCSEs grade 3 - 1 including English and Maths
- a successful interview with a tutor
- the ability to study independently
- a genuine interest in the subject
- hardworking approach towards the industry
Teaching and Learning Methods
This course combines taught sessions, workshops, independent study, online learning and work experience.
Students will work in group production tasks and also independently.
All the tutors on the course are working or have worked in the industry and can share a wealth of experience and have higher levels of education in media specific areas.
While on the course you will be able to work with staff for external clients in response to live briefs thus giving you a greater understanding of the music industry.
A typical timetable will consist of session and workshops over a 4-day week and the 5th day being used for independent research or practical production days.
You will have access to specialist equipment for independent study time and rehearsal time.
In addition to some work in the traditional learning environment you will experience a range of industry-standard work spaces which may include:
- The Recording Studio – Pro Tools 12 HD and 24 Channel Analogue Mixing Desk.
- The Mixing Suite – acoustic treated for professional level mixing in both Pro Tools and Logic Pro X software.
- Music Performance Room – versatile space for acoustic and band performances which also functions as a live sound venue including a PreSonus live Digital mixing desk.
- Music Production Suite – fully equipped with iMacs running Logic Pro X software. Space accommodates: Music Sequencing, Sound for Moving Image, Music Theory and Music Production work.
- Rehearsal Rooms – fully equipped with mixing desks, guitar and bass amp emulation, electronic drum kits and microphones for extended rehearsals and performance preparations. Each room also has an iMac with a sound card for additional songwriting and recording activities.
- University Centre Theatre – provides an excellent performance space for live gigs.
It is normal to expect up to 12 hours a week in a studio or classroom setting.
You will have access to specialist equipment for independent study time and this could be up to an additional 6 hours a week.
Industry Placement and Field Trips
Other Costs and Equipment Needed
All staff involved in the delivery of further education courses within the College are approved to teach the subjects and modules they deliver. The approval process ensures that staff delivering a given programme are appropriately qualified and, where appropriate, possess relevant technical and industrial experience and professional practice.
Students who are 18 or under and resident in the EU pay no course fees. Read our tuition fees guide for students 19 and over.