Employers are no longer just looking for a good grade; they want to find well-rounded graduates who can demonstrate the attributes needed to succeed at work. At B&FC, we embed employability skills in the curriculum and provide opportunities for you to develop personally in order to compete for your chosen career.
Key graduate skills
In addition to the subject-specific skills and knowledge needed for career progression, all our degree courses provide an opportunity to develop the key graduate employability skills that employers really value.
At B&FC, we have identified these as eight essential behaviours, attributes and soft skills, which we feel will play a major part in shaping your future success. They are:
• a commitment to lifelong learning and career development
• collaborative teamwork and leadership skills
• personal and intellectual autonomy
• ethical, social and professional understanding
• communication, information and digital literacies
• global citizenship
• research, scholarship and enquiry skills
• enterprise and entrepreneurial awareness and capabilities
DegreePlus awards recognise a wide range of knowledge, skills and abilities to enable you to stand out to employers. Three distinct awards in the areas of student engagement, social responsibility and sport formally recognise any additional activities you undertake to enhance your employability and give you a head start upon entering the graduate job market.
The awards are officially recognised on your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR).
Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR)
Your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) – which can be presented to potential employers – provides information about your academic achievements as well as College-approved achievements unrelated to your degree. Designed to encourage a more sophisticated approach to recording achievement, the HEAR acknowledges the full range of opportunities that B&FC offers to it students.
We work in partnership with Gradintelligence to provide you with your HEAR.
Gradintelligence is a dedicated service that aims to support you into employment and further study. As a College student, you automatically gain access to your own personal Gradintelligence account, from which you can access your HEAR.
Gradintelligence offers a variety of free services for degree students. These include:
• opportunities for further study
• psychometric testing to help with preparing for assessment centres/job interviews
• e-CV builder
• Live employment opportunities matched to your individual profile with blue-chip companies such as Amazon, Virgin Media, Google and BAE Systems
Work with employers
Our partnership work with employers is the envy of the sector and has earned us a Queen’s Anniversary Prize. We involve employers in course design as well as course delivery, through work placements and live assignments, so you become skilled at applying your subject to real life.