Higher education can open up exciting new opportunities in terms of your personal and professional development. Our role is to encourage you to achieve and to support you as you work towards making your future goals a reality.
Potential barriers to success
As a student, one of more of the following may apply to you, which could be perceived as a barrier to success:
- you have a learning difficulty or disability
- you have a learning difference
- you are a Care Leaver
- you are estranged from family
- you are a carer
- you have not studied in a while
- you have moved away from home to study
- you are juggling study with other commitments such as work and family
We will do all we can to support you to overcome any of these barriers.
B&FC is a winner of the Standalone National Excellence and Innovation Award 2018 for supporting HE students who are estranged from their families throughout their learning journey.
How we support higher education students
Progressing from further to higher education can be a challenging time for any student. We offer a range of services to support you across all areas of student life, with specialist support available for students with disabilities.
Flying Start programme
Flying Start sessions are half-day workshops to help you prepare for your new degree-level course. Open to all students who have enrolled on a level 4 course, they include tips on how to learn independently, and how to research and manage your time effectively.
The sessions are a great way to meet other new students, get to know your surroundings and generally get a head start on your studies. All students who attended Flying Start 2018 said they would recommend these sessions.
Our next series of Flying Start workshops will be available in 2019.
We will contact anyone who declares a disability on their UCAS application and offer an interview to discuss any learning needs. We will help to identify any additional support requirements, liaise with course tutors and offer advice on applying for Disabled Student Allowances.
Study skills support
The Higher Education Learning Mentor (HELM) team is unique to B&FC, providing a range of study skills support to degree-level students.
Whether you need to make sense of referencing or you haven’t been in a classroom in years, or you simply want to improve your grades, we’re here to help.
We offer one-to-one sessions to support you in areas such as assignment planning, researching and surviving exams. We also run group sessions on topics such as referencing, revision and reflective writing.
Whether you're a new or existing degree student, why not book onto one of the above summer Flying Start sessions, when we will support you to develop key study skills.
If you’d rather send your work to us and discuss it via email, phone or Skype we can arrange this for you too.
As well as providing ongoing planned guidance, we can also help if your situation changes and/or you experience difficulties that impact on your studies.
We’ll let you know more about the HELM service once you enrol.
Information Technology (IT) support
The Higher Education Learning Support Team offers a range of IT support that allows you to refresh or develop skills specific to studying a higher education course.
Examples of the support we offer include:
- basic support with Microsoft applications such as Word, Publisher and PowerPoint
- support with College-specific programs such as the College email, Moodle and library databases
- support with internet searches and internet safety
- development of digital literacy skills such as communicating in different media
- help with networked literacy support software, including:
- Text help Read and Write, a reading and writing tool for PC and MAC users, which reads most typed information aloud from the computer to help identify grammatical errors and proof read written work. The software also includes an advanced spell-checker, dictionary, thesaurus and many other features along with ‘how to use’ tutorials.
- Mindview, a networked visual learning tool to enable you to organise ideas graphically, ideal for planning and organisation/project management.
- Essay Writer, an essay writing guide with animated tutorials and user guides for essay creation. Features include essays/maps, subject dictionaries and bibliographic references with built-in Text-to-Speech.
For more information, please contact the Higher Education Learning Support Team on: