Who is a Looked After Child or Care Leaver?
At Blackpool and The Fylde College, the definition of a Looked after Child is a person under the age of 18 currently under the care of the local authority; a Care Leaver is someone between 18 and 25 years of age who is still receiving support.
How we support Looked After Children and Care Leavers
Prior to entry into College:
- visits to College and offer of additional College taster sessions
- meetings arranged with key people to complete initial academic and non-academic assessments, which may include specialist support assessment and liaison with the following:
- Social Services
- residential care homes
- foster parents
- virtual high schools
On entry into College:
- access to appropriate support and the development of an individual support plan
While at College:
- contact made with the relevant local authority to request a working link with either the social worker or leaving care advisor and to request the Guaranteed Bursary evidence letter
- contact and link established with the student’s external support, eg residential key worker, foster parent, placement
- completion of the Guaranteed Bursary form (if relevant ie aged 16-18) and arrangement of bus pass/lunch vouchers via the Careers Team (higher education students to arrange financial appointment with team)
- action planning to ensure clear expectations of course requirements
- link with personal tutor and senior tutor to ensure awareness of the needs of the student
- ongoing support, which may include weekly link, check on attendance and direct link with personal tutor
- referral and link to specialist internal and external support agencies as required
SUCCEED – if you’re studying a degree-level course:
SUCCEED is specifically for care leavers, carers and students who do not have contact with their families, who are studying at degree level.
Through SUCCEED, these students can access a £1000 bursary for each year of study, a dedicated Higher Education Learning Mentor offering ongoing support, regular one-to-one study skills and/or wellbeing sessions, and other College services on a priority basis.
B&FC is a winner of the Standalone National Excellence and Innovation Award 2018 for supporting HE students who are estranged from their families throughout their learning journey.
If you need to contact us, please email email@example.com
In addition to the above, we are proud of our links with the following external organisations that support Looked After Children and Care Leavers:
For more information, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing Team on:
T 01253 504356