Senior Tutor Learning, Teaching and Assessment
Colette studied here at Blackpool and The Fylde College for a Lancaster University degree and graduated with first class honours in Interaction Design (Media).
In 2013 she began her teaching career and secured a teaching post within Computing: her technical specialisms are in web design, client-side scripting and cyber-psychology.
Currently, Colette teaches all levels within further and higher education. Programme Leader for the FdSc & BSc. Web Technologies and Digital Media, she is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
Colette is passionate about teaching and learning and is keen to enhance her teaching repertoire through engagement with scholarship and new technologies.
In 2015, she embarked on a Master’s in Technology Enhanced Learning at the University of Huddersfield, where she explored the interaction of technology and pedagogic practice in the context of advanced research.
Colette is currently studying towards her PhD in E-Research and Technology Enhanced Learning with Lancaster University.
- cyberpsychology and the impact of using social media
- developing scripts for web development
- creating and designing websites
- building content management systems
- embedding technology in and outside of teaching sessions’ pedagogic practices enhancing active and collaborative learning techniques in the workroom to embed employability
- providing effective audio feedback
- using and embedding the flipped paradigm to enhance pedagogic practice
Courses I Teach
- Digital Production, Design and Development - T Level
- Web Technologies and Digital Media - Foundation Degree
- Web Technologies and Digital Media - BSc Hons Degree - Topup
- Software Engineering (Games Development) - Foundation Degree
- Software Engineering (App Development) - Foundation Degree
- Network Engineering (Cyber Security) - Foundation Degree (Subject to Validation)
- Network Engineering (Cyber Security) - BSc Hons Degree - Topup (Subject to Validation)
- Network Engineering (Systems Administration) - Foundation Degree (Subject to Validation)
- Network Engineering (Systems Administration) - BSc Hons Degree - Topup (Subject to Validation)
- Computing (Computer Technologies) - Level 2
Qualifications and Accolades
- CMI Level 5 Award in Management and Leadership
- Nominated for FE Teacher of the Year 2018 - TES Awards
- Highly Commended for Excellence in Learning and Teaching 2018
- MSc Technology Enhanced Learning @ Huddersfield University
- Professional Graduate Certificate in Education @ Blackpool and The Fylde College
- First Class BSc (Hons) Interaction Design @ Blackpool and The Fylde College
- Fellow of the HEA
- Presented at local and national conferences all over the UK
- Achieved the Excellence in Business Innovation Awards 2016 - 2017 @ Blackpool and The Fylde College
- Achieved the Excellence in Business Innovation Awards 2017 - 2018 @ Blackpool and The Fylde College
I constantly consult with a variety of industries to create live assignment briefs and to ensure that students are prepared for the workplace; working closely with local companies enables me to connect and share industry experience with our students.
Keeping my skills up to date is an essential part of my scholarship and I do this by going back into industry. This ensures that the curriculum is current and relevant in the everchanging technical world of computing and digital media.
I have attended and presented at local and national conferences to help promote excellence within higher education, focusing upon teaching quality and the learning environment.
Conference Speaker: Higher Education Academy STEM Conference 2018: Creativity in Teaching, Learning and Student Engagement. Centre of Life, Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle, 31 January-2 February 2018. Presented a workshop on investigating student engagement and student perceptions of an active-flipped approach in Computing.
Association For Learning Technology, Beyond islands of innovation - how Learning Technology became the new norm(al) 5 to 7 September 2017, University of Liverpool, UK Tuesday and Wednesday attendance Sept 5 & 6, Poster presented research on using the flipped approach in Computing.
Higher Education Academy STEM Conference 2017 - Achieving Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Manchester Conference Centre, Manchester, 1-2 February 2017. Presented action research on using the flipped approach in Computing. HEA Abstract
Teaching and Learning Conference, Blackpool and The Fylde College, Blackpool, 23 February 2015. A workshop which introduced new staff to evolving technologies involved in improving student engagement in the classroom.
Enhancing Student Participation in Computing, Annual Teaching and Learning Conference, Blackpool and The Fylde College, Blackpool, 22 February 2016. Presented a workshop on potential ways to enhance student participation.
Blackpool and The Fylde College and I share the same passions, drives and commitments, delivering excellent learning and teaching opportunities to students to equip them for life and work beyond the College.
I love working as part of a highly qualified team; we offer students fantastic learning opportunities, which are engaging, challenging and creative. I particularly like helping and guiding students through their educational journey, seeing them transform and become ready to advance their careers.
“If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” – Fred DeVito